Sunday, March 08, 2009

Happy Birthday and Happy Cleaning!

Our visit with Mom and Dad has come to an end, but we are looking forward to seeing them in less than two weeks for the big move!

The visit started off with a surprise, as Mom and Dad weren't supposed to be arriving until 1:30ish on Thursday afternoon. I had planned on vacuuming that morning and then heading up to the store to pick up a few things (coffee, drinks, etc). I got up, showered, vacuumed and got sucked into watching Fried Green Tomatoes on HBO (I had never seen it before!) . So there I sat, in my robe and pajamas and my hair in a towel. I figured, "I have plenty of time!" Somewhere around 11:30, mom called and said they were a couple hours away and asked if they should stop to eat lunch or wait until they got in. She also said she would be calling when they were about 15 minutes away so I could turn the oven on for the roast. After I got off the phone I thought to myself, the movie should be over soon and then I will get up, do my hair, get dressed and run up to the store. I barely finished my thought before my phone started ringing, it was Mom....they were 15 minutes away! Completely took me by surprise! Luckily I was able to get myself presentable before they actually arrived. :)

Ben and I got our first housewarming presents from Mom and Dad. I got a bird feeder and a big bag of bird seed. Ben got a hose, a cool nozzle for the hose (it looks like a firehose nozzle), a stud finder and a laser level. We are very excited to put all our new "toys" to good use at the new house!

So on my birthday Mom and I went shopping while Dad wandered around places like Sears, Home Depot's Expo center (where he had bought a new granite counter top and sink for their half bath on Thursday) and Lowes. Mom and I found lots of good deals and I was so excited to wear a new shirt out to dinner that night. After Ben got off work we went out to eat at Bertucci's an Italian Restaurant in Herndon, VA. It was very good. The pics below are from the restaurant.

On Saturday we left the apartment around 9:30am and headed out to the new house where we put Mom and Dad to work cleaning, after we gave them a tour of course! I, unfortunately, did not take any pictures while we were at the house because we were so busy cleaning. Dad and Ben cleaned all the carpets (except the basement) and fixed a few things here and there. Mom and I had the joy of cleaning the bathrooms (yuck!) and part of the kitchen. We got a late start cleaning(2:30ish) and headed back to the apartment around 8:00pm. We picked up Five Guys for dinner, good as usual. By the time we got back to the apartment Aida had been left alone for 12 hours! But she is a very good dog and didn't have any accidents.
So Mom and Dad headed out this afternoon after Ben made them his homemade cinnamon biscuits. :) Like I said, we are looking forward to yet another visit in just a little over a week. It'll be nice to have both Daniel and Nathan here too!
Overall, I had a very nice birthday and after cleaning the house, it is finally starting to feel like our house!

3 comments:

Marty said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend together, as usual! Your mom told me she only wished you'd had even MORE toilets to clean, she had so much fun...
We're looking forward to updates in coming days!
Love to you both,
Aunt M

Nate said...

Hmm... You claim it'll be nice to have Dan and I visit, too. But you're countdown clock says otherwise! ;-) And there's no mention at all of Liz visiting. Unless you don't really care or were uninformed that she'd be coming.

So...despite you lack of enthusiasm for Dan, Liz, and myself, we're all excited to be visiting you guys and seeing the new abode!!!

Just to make sure things are clear, I'm being sarcastic and know you're excited for all of us! :-P Can't wait to see you in 9 days, 4 hours, 10 minutes, and 3 seconds!!! ;-)

Stephanie said...

Lol, sorry about the non-specific countdown clock. All the names wouldn't fit!

I am very excited about ALL of you coming. Just so we're clear. :)