Thursday, February 19, 2009

First Big Purchase....other than the house....

Yesterday evening Ben and I made our first big purchase for the house. A Washer and Dryer....I know, we're livin' on the edge. We purchased a Maytag Bravos set after much research and debate. I decided from the beginning that I did not want a front load washer based on the reviews and reports I read on them. Coincidentally, LG front load washers now have a warning on them stating that they are not intended for use on a second or third floor. The vibrations are so bad that they need to be set on a concrete (basement) floor. I also read that front load washers are increasingly having issues with mold. And supposedly retailers are supposed to warn you of this problem and suggest that you wipe out your machine after every use.....definitely not for me. Besides, the laundry room at the house is not in the basement so that pretty much determined my decision from the beginning.
So we decided on the Maytag set you see in the picture above (but we went with the white color because it costs less than the colored washers and dryers...go figure). The washer is HE and both the washer and the dryer are Energy Star qualified. We are very excited and hope that we like them. Unfortunately there really isn't one washer out there that people/reviews agree on being the best bet. So we are hoping that we will have a good review of the washer. The idea is pretty neat with this washing machine. It doesn't have a central agitator thus giving it more room (4.7 cu ft!).
Along with our purchase, we got 3 years of Tide for free (something like $250 worth), a $100 mastercard gift card, and a rebate for free delivery. Plus the appliances were all 10% off. So good deal.
The set is due to be delivered on our closing date (March 20th). I will post my review after I get to use them!!!

1 comment:

Marty said...

Yeah, the purchase of a washer/dryer must seem pretty small potatoes after buying A WHOLE HOUSE:-)

But what a cute set of appliances; I can't wait to hear how you like the new-age washing machine! I'd be happy to send my big ol' comforters with your mom & dad so you can give your washer a real workout...