Monday, November 16, 2009

A Welcome Visitor


This little (actually he was quite big) guy was on our sidewalk when Aida and I got back from our walk. I ran inside and grabbed my camera. It has been so long since I've seen a praying mantis. I then had to go outside and rescue him as he was still on our sidewalk and the kids from the neighborhood were out playing basketball in the culdesac and they usually end up running thru our yard and i didn't want him to get smashed.

My good deed for the day. :)

3 comments:

marty said...

How cute! I love mantises! Actually, by the size, it was prob'ly a little girl--the females are a lot larger than the males. BTW, after mating, the female devours her boy toy. And the men in our family complain about their Smith women....

Just me said...

Actually, the problem is the women in our family don't end our torment quickly like the insect world, but tend to prolong the agony.

Larry said...

As a male member of the clan, I'll be looking over my shoulder ... Just Me's comment sounds like it could be a threat.