Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Delayed Update...

While we were at the doctor's office last Friday, Ben was put in a hard cast on the right wrist. While he was being prepped, I was able to sneak a picture of the incision and pins. He has three pins sticking out (two are shown here). The sutures were taken out and the incision was steri-stripped. The pins all stayed in and were padded up before the cast was put on.
These two photos are of the x-rays showing Ben's newly acquired hardware. The above photo is oriented as if his arm was laying flat down and you were looking through from top to bottom. He has 9 screws total, 3 pins and 1 plate. You can see the screws really well in the picture below.

I got Ben cast tattoos just for fun. I actually emailed the company asking them if they had any firefighter-themed tattoos, and they emailed back saying that firefighters often go un-thanked and that they were going to send him a care package for free. And they sent him all different kinds of cast tattoos. We thought that was pretty nice considering the tattoos cost around $30-$40 depending on the size.
******
Everything else is going well. I was finally allowed back up into the bed after sleeping on the floor for two weeks. The doctor had given him the all clear to sleep without having his arms propped up on pillows. He still isn't allowed to pick anything up or do much with his arms at all. Aside from intermittent pain, he seems to be healing slowly but surely. I have just recently developed some kind of head cold/sinus infection that I am hoping to be rid of very soon. It is definitely a pain in the butt to be sick and have to take care of someone else and a dog at the same time. But I have been feeling a little better each day (nothing compared to what Ben is going through :) )
We are hoping to make our way back to Ohio soon and then up to Wisconsin to visit the family there. :) So we will be seeing you all pretty soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, girl--you need to post a warning before the weaker members of your fan club see the graphic photos! It was great to see how well both of you are coping with such a distressing situation; I just hope your cold/whatever clears up soon!
We had such a great time visiting you--thanks for being such gracious hosts! See you both soon,
Love,
Aunt m

Nate said...

Goooo! X-P

It's the bionic man!!! He should've asked them to install "wolverine claws" while they were in there! Though, I'm not sure they'd really work like they do in the movie/comics.

I was going to post pictures of my recent injury (if you can even call it that) in a "Take that Ben" post...but I've been too lazy to borrow Liz's camera and actually post. In case you were wondering, the cut healed well and I took the stitch out myself. *Ahem* I mean, sewed my finger back on myself. ;-)

I hope you're feeling better today! Both of you! I'll see you in a couple weeks!

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is all very impressive. I wish I would have gotten some cool shots of Eric's hardware. Nice cast tattoo's too. Glad to hear that Ben is healing...even if it is very slowly. The WI crew is utterly excited for your visit in just a few short weeks. Lexi has already asked if she can have cast tattoos. I explained to her what they were and she responded with a 'that's okay Mom. I'll just decorate Ben's cast then."

Love to All.
Kristina, Eric, Lexi and Caiden.