Tuesday, May 20, 2008

SPOOOOOOON!!!!!

Ok, unless you have ever seen the old cartoon "The Tick," the title of this post would not make any sense to you. "Spoon!" was the tick's battle cry....it was a funny cartoon...whatever...Just thought I would add this disclaimer.

So, as Ben was giving Aida some good loving pets, he said, "what the hell is this?!" and instructed me to get the flashlight. As he picked through her fur like a monkey, he found this bulbous skin tag. Or so we thought. I actually would have preferred a skin tag to the nastiness that was the engorged tick attached to her chest.

After a short freak-out, I called the vet and made an appointment for "tick-removal." And as I was on the phone with the vet tech, they reminded me that I was indeed behind on my Lyme Disease vaccination. I forgot that a few weeks after the initial vaccination, a booster shot was needed. Therefor I had to get her re-vaccinated. Super.

What started as a "free-of-charge" tick removal, turned into a $50 vet visit. And what's worse, is the realization that the tick, flea and heartworm preventative we use (Revolution) is not strong enough for the vicious ticks and fleas of these here parts. The reason I liked Revolution so much was because it was very cost effective, and only one dose per month rather than a pill for heartworm and a separate pill or topical for fleas and ticks. So instead of $150 per year for Revolution, Frontline is running around $170-$180 per year PLUS $90 or so for heartworm. Ahhh the joys of owning a pet.

Add all of that, plus the gourmet organic food, and the fancy-pants expensive vets....and you've got one expensive mutt.

Oh well.

Virginia ticks suck...........................literally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK: this is my THIRD time to try to post this brilliant, insightful comment. I'm about tired of blogger blocking me.

I'd forgotten all about "SPOOOOOOOOON!!" So funny! Bulbous skin tag--LOL.

You'll have to keep your prima donna on the sidewalk, away from shrubbery and tall grasses! So sorry the Revolution doesn't work; dogs ain't cheap. And your girl is a delicate flower who needs sheltered from those nasty VA parasites! Ohio might be chilly and rainy, but our ticks aren't superbugs!

Great post--and have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!

--me