Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Watch for falling forks...

Due to my previous battle with a knife versus my thumb with the knife prevailing, I have since used more caution in the kitchen. I have been using the cutting board when I use knives, and potholders when I pull things out of the oven. Although I occasionally, accidentally, burn my fingers or arm...the typical casualties of cooking.
Today I learned another kitchen lesson. Don't cook without shoes on. While that may not be a rule that everyone needs to abide by, I find it very important...and so does my toe. Today I was fixing my plate of dinner that Ben made for me (delicious), and as I tried to pick up a piece of chicken with my fork, the fork slipped, the fork fell, and wouldn't you know it...it fell right on the toe next to the big toe. It left a nice puncture hole right below the cuticle. So now that I have suffered a "holey" foot...heed my advice...wear shoes in the kitchen.

6 comments:

Danny Boy said...

The stigmata look is in trust me, I've had it twice!

Marty said...

Why doesn't Martha Stewart or "Hints to Heloise" address this issue? At least YOU didn't try to pick up scissors with your foot, Steph. And you're right--I've jumped out of the way of falling cutlery many times over the years. I guess we should keep steel-toed shoes next to the aprons....

Jean said...

Like mother, like daughter. I did the same with a meat fork, only mine went thru my toe, puncture wounds on both sides. Hope you got that tetanus shot!

Danny Boy said...

Blame my prehensile toe tendencies, scissor retrieval included, on the Smith genes. I was given a gift, who am I to deny it?

Stephanie said...

Lol, there does seem to be a common bond.

Marty said...

Be thankful no one takes after Uncle Tom--he put a pitchfork thru my toe when we were kids. Prehensile toes and fork-juggling aside, no one as yet feels the need to actually AIM objects at a sibling's limbs. The closest one in your gene pool would be Nate and the infamous plastic-egg batting incident.