Monday, January 07, 2008

An Arm and a Leg

Today started off a bit rocky. Ben and I were supposed to have some workers coming in to fix our two bathroom tubs because the water doesn't get hot...just warm. I have resulted to taking baths by getting hot water from the bathroom sink with a teapot and pouring it into the lukewarm water in the tub....yeah pathetic I know. But my body thermometer is broken so I get too cold with just lukewarm water. Oh well. Anyways we made sure to get up early so as to not be in bed when the workers got there and also so we could get an early start on taking Aida on a walk while the workers were here. We haven't technically registered that we have a dog so we don't have to pay the $30 per month rent for her. Ben took her out for her morning bathroom break and to give her a little extra time outside he walked her along the trees that line the complex's property. As we were eating our breakfast, I reached down to pet Aida and saw some little red fuzz on her head. When I was about to pick it off of her, I realized it had legs. And then I realized it was a tick. Well, that was gross. But the good thing was that it wasn't attached. I then remembered that unlike Ohio, pets should have heartworm, flea and tick medicine year round in Virginia because of the warmer weather (it was 70 degrees today).
I called a vet that I found online to find out what I was supposed to do since I haven't been giving her the preventative medicine. They said I should bring her in and that I could get more of the medicine.
So we took her to this vet. It looked like a hole in the wall from the outside but we figured we could at least get her the medicine if nothing else. The receptionist was very nice and the vet himself seemed nice although not very personable. He talked with us about the Lime disease vaccination and other vaccinations that we should get. He was being a salesman of the vaccines. And then we find out they don't even carry the medicine we use for her, so he tried to sell me something else. Overall, I said I would think about the medicine and vaccines he was suggesting and we walked out with paying $55 for an office visit.....an arm and a leg. He did nothing just talked to us. He barely even looked at Aida, not even a pat on the head. And for a vet not to say how cute she is...that's just wrong!
It's been a fun day. We are currently looking for another vet.

3 comments:

Marty said...

Maybe you could ask your neighbor with the dog that has massive bowel movements ON THE FREAKIN' SIDEWALK (for pete's sake) what vet he uses. Or, maybe ask the people at your pet store for a reasonably-priced vet in your area. I guess a vet doesn't need a great personality, but I remember Duke's opthamologist, who had the personality of a turnip, redeemed himself in my eyes when he called Duke "honey". Good luck with your search!

Hope you can take a hot shower tonight and relax!

Love you both,
Auntie M

Jean said...

And how is the tub situation? Did they at least resolve the tepid water dilemma?

Stephanie said...

No one showed to fix the problem. We called them when we got back from the vet, but the office was closed. We will have to call tomorrow. I guess it'll have to be a teapot-bath tomorrow. :)